I just finished watching the movie "Becoming Jane". And now I shall expose my true nature...
My heart would fly when the love blossomed between Lefroy and Austen. And my heart would sink and break when it didn't, especially at the ending.
Now, if I react this way when I watch a movie - imagine how I (and my heart) reacts when I read her books. Pride and Prejudice, Northanger Abbey, Persuasion, you name it! I get lovesick and depressed when the story ends.
Why can't we find our Lefroy's?
Or our Mr. Rochester's? (okay, so Rochester is from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë but still...)
Or our Mr. Darcy's?
Two of these gentlemen are men of wealth but seriously, if I were in Jane's shoes and could pick the annoyingly weak and mousy Mr. Wisley or poor but-man-enough Mr. Lefroy - I'd pick Lefroy any day! Screw wealth when you can have true love...
Although in Jane's case, we might've never have been privileged enough to have come across her master pieces, if she chose Lefroy. And even if we were, perhaps that precise choice in life wouldn't have made the novels what they are today?




