Dienstag, Dezember 08, 2009

Russian roulette, the morning after and facts about teeth.

Yesterday was monday. Mondays mean (for me) piano and then what I love the most: Red Mondays at KGB Bar and restaurant. There I meet up with my childhood friends, my best friends and catch up on everything. Talk, laugh, philosophize and the occasional "debates".
At KGB we sit with Cecilia and listen to her boyfriend, his sister and his friend, play Russian folk tunes - sung in russian. And also, Swedish folk tunes sung in swedish. There was also one monday when Niko (her boyfriend) played his own composed song which was really good and well written (wonderful text!). They play and sing for about an hour if not a little more and somewhere around the middle of the performance or right before the end, they play a game of Russian roulette. Now, Russian roulette might not be the same without a gun (line stolen from Lady Gaga, haha) but their version is with vodka. I've always wanted to play the game but never dared so now that Ida was with I finally dared to send us up there. We stood in a ring with 4 other people, holding each others shoulders, dancing in a circle, 360 degrees, waiting for the music to stop and being shot in the back. I was the first to go and I was the first to choose one of the six shots. Five were water and one - the golden one, that we all wanted - was pure vodka. However, I took one of the five and "lost" with disappointment but my lovely Ida got the vodka even though she wasn't the last (wo)man standing. Her reward, apart from winning the vodka: to dance in the middle of the pub with a gas mask on for all of us to see! Keep in mind that the pub was filled with people everywhere but it was great fun and she did a good job dancing for our entertainment.

The morning after (today), I woke up at 6.40ish for my dentist appointment. An hour later I was sitting in a chair with my dentist taking x-ray pictures of my teeth and saying that they were really good and then lecturing me about how they suddenly were bad. What changed her mind was because I had tartar (tandsten). So there I was lying on a chair and while she dug and scratched away some tartar, my dentist started asking facts about teeth. And all of a sudden my whole appointment was a pop-quiz where I was guessing the right answers to her questions, and gladly nailing more than half. So I thought I'd share my new knowledge although many might already know it.
We brush our teeth to get rid of the remaining food that gets stuck between our teeth, and to clean our teeth and gum from bacteria. The food we eat doesn't necessarily get stuck and stay stuck until we've brushed our teeth, it falls off within time (apart from small particles like e.g. parsley  from time to time). Tartar is not caused by remains of food, it's caused by bacteria that you haven't brushed off. The bacteria will not disappear by using the right toothpaste since toothpaste is used for enhancing your teethes enamel with fluorine. (A recommendation to those who use or don't use fluorine tablets; rinsing your mouth for a minute with a liquid fluorine is way better than the tablets since they reach all areas and spaces in your mouth/teeth. It's more effective than tablets, which are more effective than nothing at all.) Bacteria will disappear if you brush well and long enough. Products like Listerine are not recommended because they'll corrode your teeth and gum more than they say and you think. By brushing hard you're wearing out the teethes surface and therefore we should not be using medium toothbrushes. The best toothbrushes are the soft ones or the electrical rechargeable toothbrushes since they also polish our teeth. (The latter gives a better result in getting rid of bacteria too.) If you bleed while brushing it's a good sign. No, it does not mean that you've gotten rid of small food particles (which some parents say), it means that you've gotten rid of bacteria, old bacteria. Saliva plays an important part. Saliva contains good bacteria's that help fight off the bad ones. However, if we "små-äter" a lot (like me, especially midnight food) then the teeth will never get a chance to get rid off the bad bacteria's since the saliva will be having new ones to constantly fight off. Therefore it is wise to wait 2-3 hours between every meal so that the saliva gets a chance to protect your teeth and most importantly your gum. Eating before going to bed is worse (if you don't wait with it until 2-3 hours later)! Why? Because your saliva, when you lie down, won't come in contact with your teeth and instead gather at the back of your throat. This meaning that your teeth will be suffering of corrosion the whole night, which is a lot of hours. And then my dentist went on ranting about flossing, what food and beverages that corrode the teeth - but I think we all know that part...and then just stash it at the back of our minds.

Now I shall resume to my sandwich... (Julskinka på julvörtsbröd! Yummy in my tummy!)




I wish I came up with that version myself!