Freitag, Dezember 23, 2011

The art of giving

Christmas has been around for a while now and tomorrow it will finally be the 24th for all of those kids who have eagerly been waiting for tomorrow to come.

I wish it could be just as an exciting and joyous event for my relatives in the Philippines as it will be for the majority of the world. It won't be though because about a week ago cities like Iligan and Cagayan de Oro, both down south, were victims of a huge flood. The disaster, which they also call a storm, took many lives and my family were victims too. Luckily they are all alive but all their possessions are gone. The house is flooded, possessions are washed away, the refrigerator is floating about; the water reached a level to which my relatives were forced to escape up to their own roof to stay safe. It could have been worse I presume, since many families still have missing members. There are about a bit more than 1000 people missing and many were killed by this disaster.

So my mother has tried to gather things we do not need and so are her friends. Anything that could be useful, especially clothes because that's something they definitely do not have anymore and they can't walk around in drenched garments for weeks right? So I spent my evening gathering whatever clothes I had not touched in months, what was too small or too big, what I had multiple designs of, gave them to mom and hopefully it will reach them soon enough.

I wish Christmas time could be free from disasters and problems and worries.

For some further news/updates, here are some articles:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16251316
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16312397
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16235672