Mittwoch, Januar 06, 2010

When a customer just doesn't get it!

At my last workplace I had various customers who were other than your average customers. Each and every one of them were different and interesting in their own ways. For example you had the students who lived at the campus close by. Take the asian students who sometimes spoke to me in their native language, with me looking like a question mark as they ask "You're not chinese?" Then the americans who were like whatever man every time they step in the store, they just ooze of the States and I liked it a lot. You have the older customers who talked endlessly because they had no one else to talk to. The regular customer who always stayed behind after he was done packing his items, to brag about his many voyages. The cute guy who came in at the same time, every saturday, buying the exact same stuff as last saturday, who stayed to talk for a while radiating his charm and then after a couple of weeks disappeared. I even had a crying kid who would come in always sobbing his eyes out. (He was like Oliver Twist, and I'm being really honest now, he would always count the coins in his pocket and every time more than half of it was spent he would sob a bit harder mentioning that his family's money was nearly gone. I actually saw his mother once and she looked like a junkie but was probably an alcoholic. I don't know what issues they had but I don't think the children were well in that home.) There were the kids who would shoplift, the alcoholics who needed more beer in the morning, the single working mom who kept telling me how her daughter was so alike me, the same guy who always bought the same packet of condoms with his red-flushed face. Then we have the odd young man who always made me think of Doofy Gilmore from Scary Movie. One day he followed me around the store and then cornered me to say how beautiful he thought I was. I was very flattered and thought about how much guts it had to take him to say that. He then disappeared and I continued working, but the next day he came back and what freaked me out was the way he watched me work and how he would stay behind to exchange some words. The final drop though was when he waited by the store after my shift ended, waved as he saw me on my way out offering to escort me home. That crosses the line...

Although I was freaked out by his behavior, I never saw him again and I had to quit that job anyways for education purposes. Lucky me! Now I work at another store, a bigger one with more people, less sobbing, more families and not so much sadness. We have a lot of regulars, none of them boasting, none of them uncomfortable beings - except for one. A guy in his 40's who to me always had some psychotic look in his eyes. I never really noticed him being around. Sure I recognized him but there are so many people, nothing special made me remember him precisely. The only thing that made me find him a bit different from the rest of the customers was his gentleman's ness. The frequent; "How are you today?" "I wish you a very pleasent evening/weekend." "I hope I'm not bothering you." "I hope you don't work yourself too hard." "Would I be helpful if I gave you this in change instead? I wouldn't want to burden you or cause you any trouble" followed with his constant nervous voice. And every time I'd ask him the question back (the how are you-question) it was as if his eyes radiated with a glow. I just figured him being a well raised man who has a hard time being social, until he (like the odd young man at my last workplace) followed me around and cornered me as soon as my boss left my side. And yes, he did it to say how beautiful he thought I was. Added in with explanations about the colors that I have blending in so nicely with my facial features, and how he had meant to convey this to me for a long time... I was flattered - but really, I freaked out so much on the inside!

The next time I saw him, I was getting back from my break and I wish I kept myself in the coffee room for a little while longer. He spotted me and left his place in the queue then came to my register instead blurting out the same questions (which I now got to know from my co-worker, that he doesn't ask anyone else at work - just me). I tried to be kind but not too much to make him think that I was comfortable with the situation. He tried talking about all sorts of things, asking me what razor I think he should buy, he tried finding out things about me and etc. Luckily my co-worker (who has noticed his way of treating me) came to "talk about important matters". As I asked her for change (en-kronor) he starts apologizing for giving me the money he gave since it took most of my change from the register. I got so mad and said in a bitter way "It's my job to have change no matter how much money you give me." After he leaves, my co-worker checks that I'm fine and not too freaked out by him. And within less than 5 minutes the guy shows up at my counter again(!) with a roll of one-crowns saying "I thought I'd make it up to you for the trouble I caused."

...WHAT THE FUCK!?

I'm not sure if he notices how inappropriate his behavior is, how much he's freaking me out and how uncomfortable he makes me feel with him around.

It feels like it's not long until he crosses a fine line...