Sonntag, Mai 06, 2012

Vive la République?

The presidential election in France is now over and they can now greet their new president François Hollande welcome and the best of luck.

I think that Hollande will be a good change. Following the election a bit too late (more like a week ago), I have not read up on the other candidates who ran for president. Perhaps I would have liked another candidate better, but having read the profiles of both Sarkozy and Hollande, I assume that as long as Sarkozy or any extreme right does not get elected - France should be better off.

Hollande's idea or goal for amending the country's economy seem very logical and fair. Reduce the class divisions and give everyone a chance to survive on their salaries: raising minimum wage is a smart move but I like his idea of installing a raised tax on large corporations and for those with an income higher than 1 million euros per year, better. Sweden removed the "förmögenhetsskatt" (= wealth tax) which I think is pretty bad since the gaps between social classes keep rising and the money is invested on the wrong things. Children and youth, that means to say recreation and education, should come first - sadly, it doesn't.

Well, if Hollande does well and fixes their economy, I believe that Sweden might learn a thing or two from the newly elected president.