Montag, April 30, 2012

Study Habits

I wasted my whole Sunday on Facebook, Skype and Spotify. I even watched some movies. All of this instead of writing and working on my paper. So now I have to get real and meet the deadline, which happens to be today.

What I have noticed though, is that when I study I need a lot of brightness and sun in a room to give me energy, a high ceiling for my thoughts to grow, a white room which is more neutral and spacious so that I won't feel so confined, a big desk with lots of space I do not wish to use in order for my body to feel at ease instead of claustrophobic or for my work to be observed by my neighbor. (I am sure there is supposed to be a comma somewhere in that sentence, but it would not fit in artistically because I want you to feel the anxiety that confined working areas give me.) Back to the topic ® That is really hard to succumb in our flat. It is so tiny and the biggest desk is the kitchen table. So for nine hours of intense work, I did some minor changes in the kitchen...



I will just have to keep my head looking straight forward to the garden outside and pretend I have as much space around me as I wish I did. And look at the sky in front of me and pretend that that is my roof and not the ceiling lamp hanging right on top of my head. Or that the building outside the window is not an obstruct that might potentially cause me to encounter a drought. 



It would not surprise me if I later in life started decorating my own home according to the rules of Fengshui.
I am already getting rid of the clock in the kitchen because I hear it ticking, but mostly because Amelia tells me to.
Click to see what I am talking about: http://www.amelia.se/halsa1-23611/Inred-ditt-hem-med-feng-shui



UPDATE (1406):
I just rewrote my whole thesis because I found it too short and boring. Now it's twice as long and seems a bit more interesting and academic than my first draft of my thesis. However, there are five remaining chapters left waiting to be written. Thankfully I have three pages scribbled down with notes about classical music during the Third Reich, now I just need to turn them into complete sentences and make it work to my advantage.
Meanwhile I am trying to get myself motivated to write this paper and so far dolphin sounds, waves and underwater bubbles bubbling (= Ocean Melodies) have done the trick. Unfortunately it has started to ware out and I wonder what type of music I will need for my next chapter.




UPDATE (1514):
Surely a small break is something I am worth. However, I always reluctantly spoil myself and now I have ended up procrastinating for the past hour. During that hour I; checked Facebook, logged in to the student portal to check if my grade for the syntax course had been posted, ate two different biscuits, had a glass of water, searched for some new study music other than dolphins and nature calling in a language I do not speak and ended up finding a Vivaldi playlist (1h long) that was unbearable because it was remixed, and now I am provlyssna:ing (some Swenglish for you) some playlists on stereomood. It is pretty good once you've settled for one list and stick to it, unlike me who switches lists after every fourth song.
Link: http://www.stereomood.com/

UPDATE (1834):
It appears to me that silence is the best music for studying. Had I been working on this paper two years ago, music would have been vital for me to actually get homework done. However, I guess my love for music has grown so much that I simply cannot ignore it whilst doing something else. Not even if I am reading a book. Perhaps when I draw and sketch, but it has been a while since I could enjoy that on my leisure time.
Soon the second part, or chapter actually, of my paper is done. Next up I will be dealing with Orff's Carmina Burana. Hopefully I will have enough to say about it. And then move on to Beethoven's 9th Symphony. Then that should do it, I will send in what I have ready to my professor, do something else for a change, perhaps bother to start attaching foot notes, source and bibliography. Or get back on Facebook...
The discussion and the conclusion can wait till Friday AFTER I have my next Beratungsgespräch.
Ja wohl! I better get back to my paper before the sun disappears, because once it does - I won't have the energy to (or be bothered to) write anymore.

UPDATE (2003):
Silence works no more for me. And my stomach is growling. Not to mention my huge and ridiculous cravings for chocolate.
Two more hours to go and then it's deadline time.