Freitag, September 24, 2010

Any given Friday

~it's the weekend!


Wow, what a week! I've been both unefficient as well as efficient.

The unefficient side is that I haven't been bothered to open and read all the chapters in all books for English I. Although "The Study of Language" with all the alveolar and stuff is slightly new or basically self-evident information just new fancy names/terms for it, is the only "rejuvenating" yet not so exciting book for me to read. The rest is like a re-run of grade 4 when we did our first projects and essays, teach me something new other than "how to write a paragraph" and I'm not so suprised that coherency and unity is important in a text. "The Study of Language" is also a re-run of English from my senior year. However, I wasn't so alert and managed to pass with an effortless A because of my one "great" essay. Yes, I probably didn't deserve it because of my lack of interest and commitment. And I think I've ended up in a new twin cycle of it... We'll see how I do with this course.
All I can say is that I appreciate the fictional literature books we read, as well as expanding my vocabulary with all the vocabulary exercises we have. I've also made some new friends; one which I actually really like and search for in the lecture halls. The smaller groups are a different question... I guess I'll leave it at that and just say that I haven't quite warmed up to them, let alone given it a real chance.

So my efficient side is my engagement in Amnesty! I'm so happy to be this active and actually trying to pull of a small campaign. If somebody would've told me that I'd this active and care so much after graduating from High School, before I actually graduated - I would never believe them. Before, I just wanted to mind my own business and do my thing. I was incredibly shy and wanted to just help/serve others than try and steer something on my own. Well suprise: Bianca has changed!
So I decided to try and do a small campaign to help ECPAT and the children across the globe who are victims of Commercial Sexual Tourism, for International Children's Day. I don't know how many organisations I've been calling around to and just hasseling them with information and help with my project.
A really cool thing I wanted to fix was a collaboration with Cinema Politica, make them screen a documentary about the main focus and try and inform, as well as enlighten, others about this particular issue. I think I can pull it off since I finally got two documentaries and a 13(!!!!) kilo heavy box filled with pamplets and inofrmative papers from ECPAT. Which - FYI - I needed to carry all the way home with my bare arms, and they figuratively felt like spaghetti-arms as soon as the weight came off of them.
I'm really hope that I'll pull this project/small campaign of mine off with great success! Or else it'll be very embarrassing.

Tonight I was out in town, Amnesty had a social event so that we all could get to know each other and relax a bit. It was really nice! We spoke about tons of stuff, a lot about Swedish history (which I then decided to zone out of), politics and education systems. We were at Gamla stan (Old Town) and sat outside at this cosy café that had such sweet coffee mugs. We sat and talked until it got dark and candles were everywhere. It was so nice, now one also made some more friends and apparently there was going to be a party tomorrow night at Lappis. I think we're all going, I know I am and I hope it'll be good. I guess my study-weekend took a sudden turn. Well, anything for a social life really. And also, anything for a great college life.


Bisous!